1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
2 medium Zucchini
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
4 large ripe tomatoes
1 tbsp parsley
salt and pepper
- Slice the zucchini and eggplant into strips then put them in a bowl and toss them with half a spoon of salt and let it sit for 20 min.
- In the mean time slice the peppers and onions and smash the garlic cloves and set them aside. Boil some water then add it to a bowl and soak the tomatoes in it for 2 min. Then put them in cold water and let them sit for a min and then skin them. Cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the juices over a strainer into a bowl. Slice the leftover pulp and set it aside.
- Drain the zucchini and eggplant mixture and then pat them all dry with a kitchen towel. Sauté them in a pan with olive oil, one layer at a time, one min per side then set them aside.
- In the same pan cook the onions and peppers for about 10 min or until tender. Add the smashed garlic cloves and then spread the tomato pulp over the onions and peppers and then cover and cook it until the tomatoes start to render their juices. Uncover and cook for another few minutes until all the juices evaporate.
- Transfer half of the pepper, onion and tomato mixture into a large pot. Spread half of the parsley over it followed by half of the the zucchini and eggplant mixture, then the other half of the pepper, onion and tomato mixture, the other half of the parsley and then finish with the other half of zucchini and eggplant mixture.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 15 min, basting the vegetables a couple of times with the juices. Uncover, salt and pepper to taste and cook for another 15 min basting a couple more times again. Serve as a main dish with bread, noodles or rice, or as side dish.