My vacation in France has come to an end. I am still daydreaming about the delicious food I ate there, especially the desserts. I wanted to share the recipe for a cake that I made for a very dear friend of mine who can’t eat gluten. She loves raspberries and chocolate so this was the perfect cake for her. Once again one of the wonderful friendships that started with food…It’s delicious, light and perfect for a summer weekend.
For the batter:
100 g dark chocolate
300 g milk chocolate
150 g (2/3 cup) butter
6 large eggs
100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
For the topping:
200 g whipping cream (30% fat or more)
250 g mascarpone
4 Tbsp powdered sugar
500 g fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, all together or your choice)
- Batter: Prepare a 9-inch baking pan and coat it with butter. Preheat the oven to 175Cº( 350 Fº). Put the chocolate, butter, and oil in a small bowl and set it over a pot of boiling water. Once it is melted, stir it well and then set it aside.
- In the meantime, put 2 whole eggs, 4 egg yolks (save the egg whites), and a pinch of salt in a bowl and whisk together. Then, while continuing to whisk, blend in the chocolate.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl and begin to beat them while slowly adding the sugar. Beat the egg whites and sugar until they become stiff and white peaks start to form. Then slowly fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, followed by the other half, until combined. Once this is complete, put the batter in the greased pan and bake it for approx. 40 min or until it’s done (the baking time depends on the oven, so it’s good to check it with a toothpick, when the toothpick comes out dry then the cake is done).
- Topping: Blend the cream, mascarpone, and powdered sugar and then beat them until they become stiff (if no mascarpone is preferred, then just cream and sugar works also). Place the cream in the refrigerator until it is ready to be added to the cake.
- When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool, then top it with the cream and the berries of your choice. Keep the cake in the refrigerator until it is ready to be served.