This classic French Madeleines recipe is one of my go to-tos, it’s quick, perfect for a party as well as to sweeten your everyday coffee, or as a little sweet surprise in my daughters lunch box. Overall perfect!
(makes about 16)
2/3 cup butter (150 g) butter + 20 for the mold
1 2/3 of a cup (200 g) flour
1 cup (200 g) sugar
1 Tbsp orange extract
1 cup pistachios (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (360ºC).
- Separate the eggs and put the egg whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt then beat them until stiff.
- Place the butter in a small casserole, melt slowly.
- In a second bowl whip the yolks with the sugar then add the melted butter and orange extract. Combine slowly the egg whites, flour and the yolk mixture. Fold in the pistachios ( if using).
- Butter the molds, fill each mold with the batter (best is to use a Tbsp).
- Put in the Madeleine’s in the oven and bake for 10 min or until done (my oven needs a little longer). If put in an air tight container they stay fresh up to one week.