After making this soup last year for a Christmas event I lost the recipe but since it was so popular I gave it to a few ladies and this is how I was able to retrieve it. This soup is delicious and perfect for cold winter days and for special occasions like New Year’s Eve.
2 onions diced
2 large potatoes (or three small) cut into small cubes
100 g celery root cut into small cubes
5 Tbsp vegetable oil
1,3 l chicken broth
300 g pre-cooked chestnuts, chopped
200 g heavy cream
For the Pesto:
Handful of flat leaf parsley
40 g walnuts
100 g cranberries
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
4 slices of bread (of your choice)
Salt and pepper
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pot. Put the vegetables in the pot and sauté on high heat for 3 min and deglaze with the broth. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 15 min.
- In the meantime prepare the pesto: heat a small pan and put in the chopped walnuts and roast them for a few minutes.
- Purée the walnuts, parsley, cranberries, lemon juice, and olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the bread into pieces and heat the rest of the vegetable oil in a pan put the bread in, and roast until crispy. Set aside.
- Add the chestnuts to the cooking vegetables and cook for additional six to ten minutes. Add the cream and purée the soup with a hand blender.
- Serve hot garnished with pesto and croutons.