180 g soft butter
100 g powdered sugar
1 pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
Zest from 1 orange
1 1/2 tbsp dry poppy seeds
330 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
Approximately 1 half jar of orange jam, for spread
- Put the soft butter, powdered sugar and pinch of salt in a bowl and blend it with a mixer until it becomes creamy.
- Add the egg yolks, the orange zest, and the poppy seeds to the mixture and blend it once more.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the batter and blend it again until it forms a dough. Roll the dough into a log approximately 6cm in diameter, wrap it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for approx. 30 min.
- Set oven to 175ºC (350º F). Take the dough out of the refrigerator, cut off a 6cm piece and place the rest back in the fridge. Roll out the small piece of dough on a flour covered slab until it is 3 – 4mm thick. Cut the cookies out to desired shapes, place them on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and bake them for 7-9 min or just until the edges turn brown. Take them out of the oven and place them on a cooling rack. Repeat this step until all the remaining dough is used.
- Once the cookies have sufficiently cooled down, start gluing the cookies together by putting a dab of orange jam between two cookies to join them together and form one cookie. When all the cookies are glued together sprinkle them with powdered sugar. These cookies also taste wonderful without the jam and can be stored in a box for up to a few weeks.